Our Savior, Jesus Christ, taught many
principles through parables, or stories. One of these parables is
that of the prodigal son. There once was a man who had considerable
wealth, enough that he had lots of servants. He also had two sons who
would someday inherit his wealth. The younger son came to him one day
and asked for his portion of the inheritance. The man gave the son
his portion and not long after, the younger son traveled to a far
country and spent all his inheritance on riotous living.
Eventually, he ran out of money. And
after he ran out of money, he apparently also ran out of friends. The
story goes that he had to go beg for work and was given the task of
feeding someone's pigs. He was apparently still so hungry that he
thought about eating the slop he was supposed to feed to the pigs.
Around this time, he was certainly
reminiscing and feeling sorry for himself and remembered that back
home, even his father's servants were taken care of and had plenty to
eat. So the younger son decided to travel home and offer to be a
servant for his father since he no longer felt worthy to be called
his father's son.
As he got close to home, his father saw
him walking down the road. The man ran and embraced him. Even after
the son told his father how he didn't feel worthy to be his son
anymore, the man called for new clothes and shoes for the younger
son. The man also called for his servants to prepare a feast and a
party saying that his son who had been lost was found so they would
celebrate.
Around this same time, the older son
was out working in the fields - we haven't heard much about him yet.
When he heard all the music, the older son came toward the house and
asked what was going on. When he found out about his younger brother
coming home and his father welcoming him and throwing him a party,
the older son was angry and wouldn't even go in the house.
His father came out to see what all the
ruckus was and the older son told him: I've stayed here with you all
my life, I've done everything you've asked me to do but you've never
thrown me a party. You've never treated me this way. My younger
brother wasted all your money and did all these sinful things and
yet..., look how you're treating him.
::pause::
There was a time in my life when I very
much felt what the prodigal son's older brother felt. When I was
younger, there was something I wanted very, very badly. I felt this
desire was a righteous desire and also felt I was doing what I needed
to prepare for it. I knew that the time wasn't right yet for me to
have this something but that didn't stop me from wanting it.
Then one day, I found out a friend of
mine was getting this something - the same something that I wanted so
badly. My friend was getting it before me and after making some
not-so-great choices. I was hurt and angry and frankly - jealous.
Here I was, doing the best I knew how, trying to follow the
commandments, slowly working toward this goal that I so badly wanted,
but apparently this friend didn't have to do it the "hard"
way. I was definitely identifying with the prodigal son's older
brother.
I spent a lot of time praying to
understand and praying to have my heart softened so I could be happy
for my friend and give up my negative feelings. At the end of the
week when I got the news, I found myself reading this parable about
these two sons and pondering on what the father told his older son
when he was so angry about how he had been treated. In Luke chapter
15, verses 31 and 32, "And he said unto him, Son, thou are ever
with me, and all that I have is thine. It was meet that we should
make merry, and be glad; for this thy brother was dead, and is alive
again; and was lost, and is found."
::pause::
After some time, I finally started to
understand that there isn't always the "hard" way or the
"easy" way - there's just the way - whatever the way our
Heavenly Father has prepared for us. And most of all, I started to
understand why the father in the parable would have acted the way he
did - it was out of love.
The father in the parable loved both of
his sons: good choices, bad choices, hard worker, riotous non-worker
- he loved them both regardless. And when his younger son came home,
no matter what had happened, no matter what restitution might still
need to be made, he wanted to celebrate because his son was alive;
his son was home.
The Savior feels the same for us. He
wants us home with Him and with our Heavenly Father and when we get
there, He will rejoice with us. No matter our choices along the way,
Christ loves us and wants us home. His love is infinite and eternal
but not unconditional.
As Elder Russell M. Nelson teaches us,
"While divine love can be called perfect, infinite, enduring,
and universal, it cannot correctly be characterized as unconditional.
The word does not appear in the scriptures. On the other hand, many
verses affirm that the higher levels of love the Father and the Son
feel for each of us—and certain divine blessings stemming from that
love—are conditional...... Examples include: 'If ye keep my
commandments, [then] ye shall abide in my love;' and 'I, the Lord, am
bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have
no promise"...Why is divine love conditional? Because God loves
us and wants us to be happy. 'Happiness is the object and design of
our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path
that leads to it; and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness,
holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God.... God’s
love—including eternal life—includes blessings for which we must
qualify, not entitlements to be expected unworthily." %
Our Savior's love doesn't excuse our
sins. Christ didn't come to save us in our sins, He came to save us
from our sins - when we do our part. We can't make things right by
ourselves but we still need to do the best we can. In the same talk,
Elder Nelson also said, "Does this mean the Lord does not love
the sinner? Of course not. Divine love is infinite and universal. The
Savior loves both saints and sinners. The Apostle John affirmed, “We
love him, because he first loved us..... In climbing the pathway of
repentance, both the effort and the result count. The Lord taught
that spiritual gifts are given to “those who love me and keep all
my commandments, and [who] seeketh so to do." %
::pause::
-----------------------------------------start of first skip section------------------------------
I can promise you that none of us can
make it back to our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ on our own.
There is simply no way we can do it alone. When I was younger and was
first learning this concept, I remember wondering what the point was
of me trying at all since I could never achieve the goal. It seemed
like a bum deal: I was supposed to try my best but no matter how hard
I tried, I couldn't do it? Then a wise Primary teacher shared a
version of this story from Stephen E. Robinson he calls the Parable
of the Bicycle:
"I was sitting in a chair reading. My daughter, Sarah, who was
seven years old at the time, came in and said, “Dad, can I have a
bike? I’m the only kid on the block who doesn’t have one.”
Well, I didn’t have the money then for a bike, so I stalled her. I
said, “Sure, Sarah.”
She said, “How? When?”
I said, “You save all your pennies, and soon you’ll have enough
for a bike.” And she went away.
A couple of weeks later I was sitting in the same chair when I heard
a “clink, clink” in Sarah’s bedroom. I asked, “Sarah, what
are you doing?”
She came to me with a little jar, a slit cut in the lid, and a bunch
of pennies in the bottom. She said, “You promised me that if I
saved all my pennies, pretty soon I’d have enough for a bike. And,
Daddy, I’ve saved every single one of them.”
My heart melted. My daughter was doing everything in her power to
follow my instructions. I hadn’t actually lied to her. If she saved
all of her pennies, she would eventually have enough for a bike, but
by then she would want a car. I said, “Let’s go look at bikes.”
We went to every store in town. Finally we found it—the perfect
bicycle. She was thrilled. Then she saw the price tag, and her face
fell. She started to cry. “Oh, Dad, I’ll never have enough for a
bicycle!”
So I said, “Sarah, how much do you have?”
She answered, “Sixty-one cents.”
“I’ll tell you what. You give me everything you’ve got and a
hug and a kiss, and the bike is yours.” Then I drove home very
slowly because she insisted on riding the bike home.
As I drove beside her, I thought of the atonement of Christ. We all
desperately want the celestial kingdom. We want to be with our Father
in Heaven. But no matter how hard we try, we come up short. At some
point all of us must realize, “I can’t do this by myself. I need
help.” Then it is that the Savior says, in effect, All right,
you’re not perfect. But what can you do? Give me all you have, and
I’ll do the rest.
He still requires our best effort. We must keep trying. But the good
news is that having done all we can, it is enough. We may not be
personally perfect yet, but because of our covenant with the Savior,
we can rely on his perfection, and his perfection will get us
through." ^
::pause::
-------------------------------------------end of first skip section-----------------------------------
Though the older son in the parable of
the prodigal son had stayed with his father and generally made good
choices, he wasn't perfect - none of us are. Only Jesus Christ led a
perfect life. We will all make bad choices; we are all sinners.
Christ will still welcome us back with open arms but we must do our
part; we must repent.
The prodigal son in the parable had
been brought low before he made it home to his father - probably
lower than he had ever imagined he could be. And as he went home to
his father, he was humble and meek and ready to take the lowest
position available if he could just be home. So we will also need to
humble ourselves and repent as we travel home to our Father and our
Savior.
Our way home through repentance is
possible through the greatest example of our Savior's love for us:
the Atonement. Christ himself said, "Greater love hath no man
than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
::pause::
In discussing the Atonement as a
testament of Christ's love for us, Elder John H. Groberg of the
Seventy taught that "Jesus Christ was filled with unfathomable
love as He endured incomprehensible pain, cruelty, and injustice for
us. Through His love for us, He rose above otherwise insurmountable
barriers. His love knows no barriers. He invites us to follow Him and
partake of His unlimited love so we too may rise above the pain and
cruelty and injustice of this world and help and forgive and bless."
*
President Gordon B. Hinckley said "The
magnitude of that Atonement is beyond our ability to completely
understand. I know only that it happened, and that it was for me and
for you. The suffering was so great, the agony so intense, that none
of us can comprehend it when the Savior offered Himself as a ransom
for the sins of all mankind."$
The Atonement is, for me, the greatest
gift my Savior has given me. My life, my family, my joys and talents
would all be wasted if not for the Atonement. Jesus was called to be
the one to perform the Atonement - no one could or would force Him to
take all the sins and woes of the world upon Himself. It wouldn't
have been the Atonement that we all need so desperately if anyone
had. Heavenly Father asked Him to do it and He did. Why? "Why
was the Savior willing to keep His covenant with the Father and
fulfill His divine mission to atone for the sins of the world? It was
His love for His Father and His love for us."@
::pause::
In addition to the repentance that
Christ's Atonement makes possible, it also makes possible another
wonderful gift and testament of Christ's love for us: forgiveness.
Forgiveness is an essential step in repentance. We must ask
forgiveness from both God and anyone we have wronged in our sin. And
we are also required to forgive all men or else we will be guilty of
a greater sin (see D&C 64:9-10).
This doesn't mean that forgiveness will
be easy or quick but it is a commandment from God that we grant it to
everyone. As in so many things, Christ is one of our best examples in
this and how forgiveness is an expression of love between us when we
forgive each other and how it is especially an expression of Christ's
love for all of us.
President Monson taught: "Actually,
love is the very essence of the gospel, and Jesus Christ is our
Exemplar. His life was a legacy of love. The sick He healed; the
downtrodden He lifted; the sinner He saved. At the end the angry mob
took His life. And yet there rings from Golgotha’s hill the words:
“Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do”—a
crowning expression in mortality of compassion and love. There are
many attributes which are manifestations of love, such as kindness,
patience, selflessness, understanding, and forgiveness."+
::pause::
------------------------------------------start of third skip section---------------------------------------
In the October 2013 General Conference,
Elder Timothy J. Dyches related a story about forgiveness that really
struck me:
"Corrie ten Boom, a devout Dutch Christian woman, found such
healing despite having been interned in concentration camps during
World War II. She suffered greatly, but unlike her beloved sister
Betsie, who perished in one of the camps, Corrie survived.
After the war she often spoke publicly of her experiences and of
healing and forgiveness. On one occasion a former Nazi guard who had
been part of Corrie’s own grievous confinement in Ravensbrück,
Germany, approached her, rejoicing at her message of Christ’s
forgiveness and love.
“‘How grateful I am for your message, Fraulein,’ he said. ‘To
think that, as you say, He has washed my sins away!’
“His hand was thrust out to shake mine,” Corrie recalled. “And
I, who had preached so often … the need to forgive, kept my hand at
my side.
“Even as the angry, vengeful thoughts boiled through me, I saw the
sin of them. … Lord Jesus, I prayed, forgive me and help me to
forgive him.
“I tried to smile, [and] I struggled to raise my hand. I could not.
I felt nothing, not the slightest spark of warmth or charity. And so
again I breathed a silent prayer. Jesus, I cannot forgive him. Give
me Your forgiveness.
“As I took his hand the most incredible thing happened. From my
shoulder along my arm and through my hand a current seemed to pass
from me to him, while into my heart sprang a love for this stranger
that almost overwhelmed me.
“And so I discovered that it is not on our forgiveness any more
than on our goodness that the world’s healing hinges, but on His.
When He tells us to love our enemies, He gives, along with the
command, the love itself.”" =
What a wonderful blessing for both them
to use Christ's Atonement this way. The love of Christ allowed her to
forgive him and for him to forgive himself.
----------------------------------------end of third skip section--------------------------------------
Our Savior's love makes so many things
possible, namely the Atonement and through the Atonement comes
repentance and forgiveness. We are all sinners to some degree and we
all have need of the Atonement every day and it is so incredible to
me that Jesus Christ loves me enough to have done that for me.
::pause::
----------------------------------------start of second skip section-------------------------------------
When I was young, I felt that I didn't
understand the Atonement and that I probably wouldn't until I had
"done something bad enough to need to use it." :) I'm glad
I had good parents and teachers that corrected that notion pretty
quickly. There is a song that really touches me about how the
Atonement is for everyone and how Christ's love is extended to
everyone. The song that references another parable that Christ taught
in Luke chapter 15 verses 4-6:
"What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of
them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go
after that which is lost, until he find it? And when he hath found
it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he cometh
home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto
them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost."
This is the parable of the lost sheep
and the song is from the perspective of one of the ninety-nine sheep.
::pause::
Here is a portion of the lyrics:
"I am one of the ninety and nine
I’m not perfect but basically I’m doing fine
I have not lost my way, I have not gone astray
I’m just one of the ninety and nine
I’m not perfect but basically I’m doing fine
I have not lost my way, I have not gone astray
I’m just one of the ninety and nine
I am here in the heart of the fold
I’m not mindless but I try to do as I’m told
I’m not tempted to run and become the lost one
I am here in the heart of the fold
.....
I’m just one of the ninety and nine
I have stumbled and fallen, but I’ve kept in line
I’m not one he must seek; I’m not all that unique
I’m just one of the ninety and nine
So why is my shepherd treating me like a lost lamb?
He’s searching to find me
And he’s holding me now....
And teaching me who I am
.....
I’m not mindless but I try to do as I’m told
I’m not tempted to run and become the lost one
I am here in the heart of the fold
.....
I’m just one of the ninety and nine
I have stumbled and fallen, but I’ve kept in line
I’m not one he must seek; I’m not all that unique
I’m just one of the ninety and nine
So why is my shepherd treating me like a lost lamb?
He’s searching to find me
And he’s holding me now....
And teaching me who I am
.....
You are one of the ninety and nine
Have you any idea how brightly you shine?
You are safe in this fold, and it’s time you are told
That I know where you’ve been so I know where you’ll be
Because all of your life you’ve been following me
You are more than just one of the sands of the sea
Or just one of the ninety and nine
You are mine, you are mine...."
Have you any idea how brightly you shine?
You are safe in this fold, and it’s time you are told
That I know where you’ve been so I know where you’ll be
Because all of your life you’ve been following me
You are more than just one of the sands of the sea
Or just one of the ninety and nine
You are mine, you are mine...."
-------------------------------------end of second skip section-------------------------------------
I
testify that I know Jesus Christ lives and loves us all deeply and
personally. I testify that He took our sins and pains - physical,
mental, and emotional - upon Himself in the infinite Atonement so
that we don't need to suffer them if we will repent and turn to Him.
I testify that our Savior's love is available to every single person
if we will do what we need to do to fulfill the conditions He has set
for us and turn to Him in repentance when we fall short, as we
inevitably will. I love my Savior and I know He loves me and each of
you.
In the name of
Jesus Christ, Amen.
* John H. Groberg, "The Power of God's
Love", October 2004 General Conference
+ Thomas S. Monson, "Love - the Essence of
the Gospel", April 2014 General Conference
@ Linda K. Burton, "The Power, Joy, and
Love of Covenant Keeping", October 2013 General Conference
% Russell M. Nelson, "Divine Love",
February 2003 Ensign
$ Gordon B. Hinckley, "Forgiveness",
October 2005 General Conference
= Timothy J. Dyches, "Wilt Thou Be Made
Whole?", October 2013 General Conference
^ Stephen E. Robinson, "Believing
Christ", April 1992 General Conference
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.