Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Jimmy's Talk May 2014



I have been asked to speak on Elder Richard G. Scott’s talk from this past General Conference titled, “I Have Given You an Example.”

What a great honor it is to stand here before you all and speak about the greatest example the world has ever known, Jesus Christ, who passed through trials for us, more terrible then we can imagine.

For those of you who don’t know, Elder Scott is a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. He was sustained an Apostle on October 1st, 1988 and was called to serve by President Ezra Taft Benson.

Elder Scott starts off explaining how when he was a young boy growing up in Washington D.C., his father was not a member of the church and his mother had become less active. Some months after Elder Scott turned 8 years old, his grandmother visited from Washington state. She became concerned that Elder Scott nor his brother had been baptized.

One day during her visit while at a nearby park, she shared with them her feelings of the importance of being baptized, and attending church regularly. Elder Scott does not remember the specifics of what she said to them that day, but remembers that her words “stirred something in his heart.” A short time later he and his brother were baptized.

Not too long after, Elder Scott’s mother began to attend church regularly again and his father was also baptized. His father was later called to serve as a sealer in the Washington D.C. temple, and was accompanied by his wife, who served there with him.

What a great example Elder Scott’s grandmother was to him. Her influence changed the direction of not only his life, but all of his family.

I too have had a similar example. Those of you who know me, probably know that I am a convert to the church. My first full encounter of the church that I remember, was at friends’ house in New York. This gorgeous friend of mine, happens to be sitting here with us all today.

I was invited to her home for dinner one night over summer vacation. I remember she mentioned something about Missionaries being there. I didn’t think much about that though, as the excitement of being with her at her home was overwhelming enough. I remember that night the two elders sharing their testimony with me and their love for our Heavenly Father.

That day I shared with my wife and her family at her home, I will never forget. I remember spending time with her and her family and seeing how close to each other they were. They shared a love greater than any other love in this world, a love of our Heavenly Father and his Son.  They were a testimony to me, of how strong a family foundation can be, if centered on God. Because of their example, my heart was softened and my ears were open, to learning about the gospel of this church.

A few months later, I left New York to attend Marine Corps boot camp at Parris Island, South Carolina. Fortunately, us recruits had the opportunity to attend Sunday services for an hour at any service we desired. As a boy I was raised Catholic, but never really attended church regularly. I was unsure what I would do for this hour we had. I stood in formation with every other recruit in my platoon at boot camp, waiting to be dismissed to attend an hour long Sunday service of our choice. As I stood there at the position of attention I thought to myself, Where will I go for this hour?” It had been about five years since my last attendance at a Sunday Mass.

A few minutes passed, and we were dismissed for an hour. I soon noticed about 15 other Marine recruits standing alongside a building holding small signs with different church names on them. In Front of them stood other recruits, forming lines in front of the Sunday service they chose to attend, patiently waiting to be redirected inside. The feeling of peace and love that I felt that first Sunday when I looked up and saw the familiar words on a sign that read, “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints”, etched a mark on my heart that will last forever.

I attended Sacrament meeting and then took part in the lessons with the missionary couple called to serve their. After my 6th Sunday, I did something that would change my life forever. I too was then baptized.

How can we, members of this church be an example to others who do not have the gospel in their life? By Faith in Jesus Christ and striving our best, each and every day to be like Him. Being a disciple of Jesus Christ at times may not be easy. At times in your life, your testimony will be tested. Will you be ready? Standing up for what is right, may not be popular in today’s world. At times, you may be surrounded by many that do not believe in Christ, and you may be mocked and made fun of. Will you be ready to testify of the things that you know to be true, because if you speak unto them like Christ would, I testify that it is impossible for their hearts to not be even slightly softened. Acting on even a twig of faith, allows God to grow it.

Elder Scott  explained that “We best serve our Father in Heaven by righteously influencing others and serving them. The greatest example who ever walked the earth is our Savior, Jesus Christ. His mortal ministry was filled with teaching, serving, and loving others. He sat down with individuals who were judged to be unworthy of His companionship. He loved each of them. He discerned their needs and taught them His gospel. He invites us to follow His perfect example.

We must sincerely love those we wish to help, so that they may feel the love of God. Giving them faith in your love, can give them faith in God’s love. Elder Scott said that the influence of his grandmother would have been negligible, had he not first known that she loved him.



Share experiences you have had in your life. Share with them adversity that you have encountered, and how your testimony of Jesus Christ has helped you overcome this. Help others know that the scriptures are a vital source of receiving answers. By helping others learn about Christ, you will in return be blessed in your life.

At times it may be difficult to share this message with some. When this becomes difficult, keep this thought in mind. Every person who has lived on this earth, is presently living on this earth, or will soon live on this earth, chose the savior’s plan. Trust that if they are given this opportunity, they will do so again.

Share with others the idea of living eternally with their family. It is because of my wife and her family’s example, that a seed was planted into my heart. It was my Faith, that allowed that seed to grow. Today, I look at my beautiful wife and my two sweet children. The promise made to me, that I can live with them for eternity, goes through my head everyday. What greater blessing is there in life?

Brothers and sisters, it is faith in Jesus Christ that will allows us to do all things in life. Heavenly Father will guide you and direct you, through the power of prayer and spiritual thoughts. Your faith is a way of life. You must strive to grow this faith each and every day, because satan will strive to crush it, if given a chance.

While in the Marines, I spent some time overseas on two separate deployments. Once to Fallujah, Iraq and once to Helmand Province of Afghanistan. In many places on our base, I remember reading the words, “Complacency Kills.” We did not want to let each other to get too relaxed or too comfortable, because that’s what makes you weaker and vulnerable to the enemy.

The same can be said about your faith. If you are complacent with your faith, I testify that satan will do all that he can to take it from you. Share your testimony often with others, study the scriptures diligently, and take time  to quietly think about the blessings in your life. Attend church regularly, including church meetings after partaking of the sacrament.This will help make you powerful enough to crush satan’s plans forever.

President Eyring said, “That particle of Faith most precious and which you should protect and use to whatever extent you can, is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Getting older does not do it alone, it is serving God and others, persistently, with full heart and soul, that turns testimony of truth, into unbreakable Spiritual Strength.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent talk! Thank you for sharing and I didn't know your story about finding the church in the military.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful talk. Wish I could have heard it in person. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.