Thursday, February 13, 2020

A Natural Man - Donald Wall - Feb 9, 2020

A Natural Man - Deer Valley Ward Conference February 2020.
- Donald Wall

It’s natural for a river to flow downhill and eventually out to the sea.  It takes no work. Just sit back and watch it take its natural course to its natural conclusion.  It would certainly be unnatural and not normal or expected for a river to suddenly reverse course and flow uphill!

It’s natural to sleep in.  Skip school, skip work, skip church.  It takes no effort or work. One just has to lie there and rest. But what may be the result of such a choice? What fruit may it bear? Poor grades, no paycheck, and missed communion with God.

It’s natural to react to life’s circumstances with anger, impatience, and unkindness.  Just let it flow, like the river, it will take you there, naturally. 

It’s natural to give in to your appetites when temptation is presented to your view.  It takes no power or effort to give in. Just let nature take its course.  

Wisdom and insight from King Benjamin of the Book of Mormon teaches in Mosiah 3:19. 

“For the natural man is an enemy to God and has been from the fall of Adam.”  

Jesus Christ was an unnatural man. 

We have been taught by Elder David A. Bednar of the quorum of the twelve Apostles.  The Character of Christ is to turn outward instead of inward. To turn outward is to think of others more than yourself.  To turn inward is to be self centered, Selfish, focused on oneself more than others. To turn inward is the way of the natural man. 

Jesus taught us through words and his own example to think more on the needs of others than ourselves.  To turn outward. Love your enemies. Do good to them that hate you. Pray for them which despitefully use you. 

It is most difficult to turn outwards when we ourselves may be suffering.  It is natural to be self centered and focussed on self, to turn inward, when we may have cause to morn.  When we may feel sorrow or loneliness or pain.

Indeed, Jesus was an unnatural man. 

Immediately after his suffering in the garden, he took time to heal the ear of the Roman soldier Marcus. Also providing a gentle word of instruction to his chief Apostle. 

On the cross he reached out to the convicted thieves hanging next to him with words of comfort and hope.  

His intercessory prayer given on the eve of his suffering was 100% for the care and blessing of his brethren.

His concern on the cross was for the care of his mother. 

He even prayed for the benefit of the soldiers who were assigned to the work of the crucifiction. 

This is the Character of Christ.  An unnatural man . Our great Exemplar. 

If we choose to follow his example then we invoke another law of good science.  The Law of the Harvest. Galatians 6:7. “Be not deceived, wrote Paul to the Galatian Saints, God is not mocked, for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.”  It is a law, it cannot be negated. 

If I plant an apple seed, I may expect, according to the law of the harvest, an apple tree to grow, and I may taste of its fruit if I nourish it and care for it. 

If I plant a potato in fertile ground and water it and give it sun, I might expect to dig up potatoes to eat.   It would be surprising if I found carrots instead. 

For every tree bringeth forth its own fruit. For whatsoever a man soweth that shall he also reap. 

If I make no effort.  If I do no work. If I plant nothing.  There will be no harvest. There will be no fruit. It is a law.  The law of the harvest. It cannot be negated. 

In the Doctrine and Covenants section 82 the Lord instructs on this topic,” I the Lord am bound when ye do what I say, buy when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise”

Now is our time to work.  To be unnatural men and women in God’s kingdom.  Now is our time to plant seeds that will yield an abundant harvest.  It will take work and effort but the fruit will be sweet. 

Let us plant seeds of Family Prayer, Family Home Evening, and Family scripture study. It will not be easy, it will take work, but it will be worth it. Let us sow a new field using Come Follow Me and study it with our spouse and our children learning together of the doctrine of the restoration and the promises of the Lord to the faithful. 

Let us sow the seeds of faith and work and effort and action. 

Let us demonstrate the Character of Christ and turn outward and serve others and help those around us who have needs.  May God bless us as we make choices now that will take advantage of his laws for the benefit of ourselves and our loved ones and bear fruit in the time of harvest.  “For Behold, God has all power unto the fulfilling of all his words, and thus it is. Amen”. I so testify, In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.