Sunday, September 8, 2019

Talk on Missionary Work 2/10/2019

Good morning, my name is Karen Wall, and I love this ward!  The people I have met, and am meeting, are amazing and talented and kind.  The bishop is awesome, and his counselors, 
There is such strength here.  I love it. We moved in in Dec 2015, we’re here for 6 months, went on a mission for a year, and have been back about 7 months. 

I have a magic word today that I am here to impress upon your minds and hearts.  Let’s see how long it takes for you to figure it out.
I’m also going to throw in a few ‘mad libs’, if you know what those are.  Then we’ll play a little 
“Where’s Waldo.”

Let’s start off by getting some inspiration from the Book of Mormon:  that will help us spiritually stretch and exercise some faith. 
  • Alma 5- read it through this week, and use the questions as indicators of how you are doing, for example, “Do you appreciate and remember past blessings?”, and “Do you consider the Gospel to bring joy into your life?”  verse 9- can you feel it?
  • Alma 8- see how you can experience His kindness and tenderness as He answers your prayers.  He can literally send down angels.
  • Alma 8:10 is sometimes considered the “Missionary Prayer”.  Read over it and use it as a pattern
  • Alma 18- read about the power of service in bringing others to the Gospel
  • Alma 26- 3, Have you learned to recognize the Spirit so you can be an instrument in the hand of God?
  • Alma 26: 22,26,27,  why do we want to bring other souls to Christ?
  • The scriptures are full of examples of how the Lord specializes in impossible situations. 

Do you truly believe that?  Belief is action--

  • We can all do a little better
  • We can all be a little more Christlike
  • We can all share a little more of our joy with others
  • We can all spread a little more sunshine
  • We can all strengthen ourselves, and then in turn, others.

I bet you think the word is missionary work - which is 2 words, so no, that’s not it.
I haven’t said the word  yet. (smile)

As we consider the blessings we have, and joy we feel through Christ and His Gospel, then what?
The North America Southwest Area plan has as its vision:
“Press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men.  Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, ye shall have Eternal life.”
The  GOAL they have given us for missionary work,  directly from Elder Lynn Robbins, is to at least once a month, invite someone to participate in a gospel activity. 
 INVITE.  The word is invite.


I can stand here and list tons of ways to invite.  But it may bore you, so I thought I’d let your minds do some of the creative thinking.
Let’s use your imagination and inspiration.  I pray the Spirit will bless us as we get inspiration for one or two.  Unless you feel the inspiration, my list won’t make much of a difference.
Fill in the blanks:  then I will tell you the words I came up with.( They don’t have to match.:) )
  • Do a little __________ more
  • Use your ___________ talents
  • Experiment with new _____________ ideas
  • Choose to _____________ try
  • The path will be ___________ clear
  • Be an ________ in His hands instrument
  • Make _________ friends   new
  • Envision __________ opportunities
  • Create an environment for __________ miracles
  • I am happy when I’m _____________  sharing
  • One more ___________  time, call, person
  • Imagine if ______________  we all did this this week
  • Anything is _____________ possible

In the book, Fablehaven, the children can only see the fairies and brownies if they drink the milk of the magic cow.  
I say we put on our magical ‘spiritual glasses’, and play “Where’s Waldo?” this week.   - look for those who seem down, struggling, need service or help, look for opportunities.  God is behind the scenes, and will give you the resources and strength you need. Be excited to see what you can find!
Step out of your comfort zone, and go forward in faith. 


Use prayer, social media, books magazines like the Friend and Ensign,
Invite someone over to view a video
Invite someone who may be interested in family history
Invite someone to take a tour of the church with the missionaries
Invite someone to basketball, volleyball, or zumba
Pray for someone to be put in YOUR path this week.
Hold a game night in your home, Let them feel the Spirit in your home
Invite someone who is struggling to visit the calm temple grounds

Two hymns come to mind:
Come Let us Anew: 217
“His adorable will let us gladly fulfil, and our talents improve,
By the patience of hope and the labor of love…”

Brightly Beams:  335
“Let the lower lights be burning, send a gleam across the wave,
Some poor fainting , struggling seaman, 
You may rescue, you may save.”



I was invited with the old ‘Golden Question, “ Do you want to know more about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?”  And I did.
My brother was invited to play basketball, then to read the B of M. He did. 
My sister was invited to a RS event.  Her neighbor was always helping her. Years later when she met with the missionaries, she remembered that friend and her kindness.

Many of you are here today because someone invited you to something.  Try it. 
Keep sharing, Keep seeking, keep inviting, and watch the miracle unfold


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.