Sunday, September 13, 2015

James Cox Talk - August 2015

Good morning brothers and sisters. My name is James Cox. I am married to a beautiful young lady named Kathy Cox, and we have two small children named Lexi and Izaac.

We moved to Cottonwood from Glendale in 2013, after I was hired by the city of Sedona Police Department. Just a few months ago, I resigned from my position as a police officer in Sedona and I am now a State Trooper for Arizona Highway Patrol.

 I am privileged to speak here today in Stake Conference to all of you, on a topic that has changed my life. That is, the story of my conversion to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I grew up in the state of New York, about an hour or so north of New York City. I was raised by a mother and father for most of my early childhood, until I was about 9 years old when they divorced. I am the oldest of two other siblings, two younger sisters named Crystal and Amanda. 

I was raised Catholic by a mother whose parents immigrated to America from Italy. I made my Holy Communion when I was a young boy. Shortly after my communion, my church attendance 
started to diminish. I remember attending Mass on Christmas Eve and Easter Sunday with my family, but that was it. 

It was not until nearly eight years later that I remember, I had thoughtfully questioned my purpose in life and developed a desire to know more about my Heavenly Father. 

I first met my wife Kathy when we were high school students. Kathy was unique in many ways, but one of the most unique things about her was, she was a Mormon. Kathy and I started to date and really enjoyed each other’s company. 

One night while talking on the phone, Kathy asked me to join her and her family for dinner later that week. My heart sank, just like it did when President Taylor asked me to speak here today in Stake Conference. Of course, on both occasions, I accepted. 

I joined Kathy and her family later that week for dinner. To my surprise, two young missionaries would also be joining us. After dinner, I remember the missionaries discussing a lesson, and then testifying their love for our savior, Jesus Christ. To be quite honest, I do not remember much about the lesson that day, but I do remember their kindness, love, and willingness to serve Heavenly Father that night by sharing His gospel to me.

Later that summer, Kathy left for college at Brigham Young University and I was scheduled to leave for Marine Corps boot camp about a month later. With terrible heartbreak, our relationship seemed to be at it’s end.

After Kathy left for college, her parents invited me to church with them on a few occasions during the last  few weeks I was in New York. I remember feeling at peace in sacrament meeting, accompanied by a sincere love for our Savior that I’ve never felt before, and a desire to learn more. 

On September 18th 2006, I left New York for boot camp in Parris Island South Carolina, home to the Marine Corps Recruit Depot. This would be my new home for the next 3 ½ months. 

During my first week of boot camp, I was amazed to find that for a few brief hours each Sunday, recruits were allowed to attend a Sunday service of their choice. 

That first Sunday, my entire platoon, about 70 of us, along with about 6 other platoons of approximately 70 Marine recruits, were marched over to a large brick building. In front of this building stood about 10 other recruits, each holding a large white paper sign.  On each sign was the name of a different faith. I remember seeing the words, “Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, Protestant.” My eyes kept scrolling from left to right, then suddenly stopped and settled on the sign that read, “ The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.” I’ve seen those words before, I said to myself with a small smile on my face. 

We were then told to form lines behind the desired faith we would like to attend that Sabbath morning. Without hesitation, and with an undeniable feeling of the Holy Spirit, I knew where I needed to go. 

My first sacrament meeting at boot camp was surprisingly very similar to any other sacrament I’ve been a part of. The biggest difference was, most of the men in attendance were wearing a camouflage uniform and tan boots, rather than a white shirt and tie. I remember feeling at home that very first Sunday, as the sacrament was blessed and passed, just like it was at church in New York.  

For the next few Sunday’s, I received the lessons from the missionaries and they asked me to read and pray about the Book of Mormon. Those first couple of weeks at boot camp, I remember staying up late into the night while the rest of my platoon slept, searching scriptures and stories in the Holy Bible and Book of Mormon.  Through the power of prayer and revelation, I soon developed my own testimony, and told the missionaries I would like to be baptized. 

I was baptized on November 5th, 2006 on the same base where boot camp was. I remember that day changing into the white pants and white shirt, in preparation for baptism. Once I was dressed, the Elder who would soon baptize me said I would have to wait just a few more minutes. I then followed him to the room near the baptismal font, where another young Marine recruit was standing, getting baptized into a church of a different faith. I remember thinking, how many other people in the entire world were baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, in a Baptismal Font that was used by members of a different faith, just moments before. 

The next four years of my life were spent in the Marines. I spent much of my time training in different environments, preparing for war in the middle east. I knew my training would soon be tested. It was after all, exactly what I signed up for.

In March of 2008, I was deployed to Fallujah, Iraq and in April of 2009 I was deployed to the Helmand Province of Afghanistan.  

During these deployments, for nearly every minute I was not asleep, I wore what felt at times, like an unbearable amount of gear to protect my body from the enemy. This included a Kevlar helmet, burn resistant shirts and pants, and a nearly thirty pound ballistic vest. Even though this gear made me uncomfortable, it kept me safe. When I look back and remember wearing all of this, I can’t help but think of the scripture in Ephesians 6, 10-12. 


10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Brothers and sisters, are we doing everything we can, to ensure our safety and well being, by partaking of the use of Heavenly Father’s  armour?

I am grateful most people will never have to step foot in a war zone. But make no mistake about it, the adversary has declared war on each and every one us. Our spiritual strength will be tested over and over again throughout our mortal existence. It is after all, exactly what we signed up for. But through Heavenly Father, and the safety of his Armour and the power of the atonement, I testify that we can rise up, and overcome.

After returning from deployment, Marines were instructed to turn in old gear and armour that may have been damaged while in combat. Once the damaged gear was turned in, Marines would be issued newer gear, and the old gear would be sent back to the manufacturer for replacement.

Unlike man made armour, Heavenly Father’s armour cannot be destroyed. His armour has an eternal warranty. It is yours to wear and to protect you forever, if you choose.

I testify to you, that through my conversion to the gospel of Jesus Christ, I have come to find that, even though the weight on our backs may seem to be unbearable at times, through this gospel, we can be protected.

In the the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. Just read this. I hadn't seen it before. Great talk. I don't think I've heard Jimmy tell his conversion story before. Fun to read.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.