Sunday, November 16, 2014

I don't want to be a goat anymore. Stake Conference General Session Fall 2014

Stake Conference – General Session – I don’t want to be a goat anymore, Fall 2014. I couple weeks ago I was visiting a Grand Child We were considering the noises that animals make - What’s a sheep say – Baa Baa - What’s a goat say – Nay Nay I was a little surprised that this almost 2 year old child knew the difference between a sheep and a goat. I wasn’t so sure that I knew. Clearly, however, there is a difference. So, what does this have to do with Obedience, Agency, and Accountability? In the New Testament in the Book of Matthew in the 25th Chapter we read: “When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:” The Savior is referring to a time of judgment at the end the world and looks like he is going to compare the process of judgment to dividing sheep from goats. Sounds pretty straight forward. So he starts his process: - All the sheep over hear on my right. All the goats over hear on my left. - But the separation is not so easy. You see, the goats think they are sheep. - You’re a goat – No I’m not, I’m a sheep - No you’re a goat - I’m pretty sure I’m a sheep. - You have horns and a curly tail – I’m still a sheep - The Goats are surprised to learn that they are goats. Jesus says to the sheep: “Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world” Jesus says to the goats: “Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels” The goats respond in disbelief: “Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.” Sadly, it does not end well for the goats. From of our latest General Conference we can find some messages that may help us to understand more clearly this teaching about the sheep and the goats. From several of the brethren we hear strict words defending age old fundamental principles and standards. Elder Lynn Robins of the presidency of the Seventy speaks about Obedience. He says “Lowering the Lord’s standards to the level of a society’s inappropriate behavior is – apostasy.” Elder D Todd Christoferson of the Quorum of the twelve teaches us about Agency. From the words of Lehi of old he reminds that men are free to choose for themselves liberty and eternal life, the blessing Jesus offers to the sheep, or captivity and death, the outcome expected for the goats. President Monson provides some counsel about Judgment, suggesting that it is our choices that has determined our outcome. He said these words so kindly, and so gently, and with so much love, but strong words for sheep and goats who will eventually be divided in the day of judgment. There are many more. Elder Robins reminds us of a question that he was asked by Elder Packer, “Which way do you face” Where do you stand. Are you a sheep or a goat? - If I were called home today could I stand blameless before God. - Could I defend my spending habits if God were my accountant - Would I be comfortable explaining to Jesus my relationship with my spouse or my children or my co-workers - Would Christ be displeased with me, because I will not open my mouth, when opportunities come my way, but hide the talent that I have been given because of the fear of men. - What if we were to review our HT and VT records - Or perhaps study my Church stewardship patterns. - Have I been sufficiently humble. What does a sheep say? What does a Goat say? Can you tell the difference? See if any of these sound familiar. I was afraid of what my friends might think so I went to the movie. Really there were only a couple of bad parts. (sheep or goat) The Prophet said it, that’s good enough for me, but I do want to pray about it myself to get a personal confirmation (sheep or goat) I am working to pay off these debts by next year, if all goes well, I should be able to start paying tithing. (sheep or goat) I’m really short on funds this year, so many things seem to have gone wrong. I don’t know why I haven’t had better success. But I will prove God, as he says, and pay my tithing. I want God to know that I trust him. I can’t believe the BYU application includes seminary participation. Its just not fair. It really should not be part of the evaluation. Seminary has been hard but I have really felt the Spirit as Sister Smith has taught the doctrines. I never really thought I could feel the Spirit this way. It feels good. Let’s try a different approach. What are you doing? - Digging a pit for my neighbor. - Isn’t that wrong? - Well maybe, but its only a small pit. He’ll get back out, besides, If I am guilty, in the end, God will beat me with a few stripes and I will be saved in the Kingdom of God. What are you doing? - I’m lying on my taxes. - You know the Government has not right to interpret my retirement income this way. They simply don’t have any right. - What if you get caught? - No chance, besides, its not that big of a deal. The very worst that could happen to me is to incur a fine. What’s the harm in that? It’s worth the risk. - But isn’t it wrong? - Nay I want to make sure that my HT assignments know, really know, that I love them. Baa I have a very high personal goal of 50% HT. Nay Bishop, what is the minimum number of sacrament meetings per year I need to attend to qualify for a temple recommend? Nay Honey, I am so sorry I behaved wrongly, I hope you can forgive me, Baa, But that is just the way that I am, I can’t change. Nay It’s decaf, what’s the harm? Nay It makes me so mad when people do that! Nay I got this umbrella for my birthday last week its as nice can be. No one else can borrow it, cause it just belongs to me. Nay. Hey, what do know, its starting to rain, I’ll stay dry till its through, Hey that little boy is getting wet, I guess it can cover him too. Baa In Conference President Uchtdorf taught some additional principles that can be related to sheep and goats. Jesus said to his disciples on the night before his crucifixion, one of you shall betray me. Essentially, one of you is a goat. Quoting President Uchtdorf, “The disciples didn’t question the truth of what He said. Nor did they look around, point to someone else, and ask, “Is it him?” Instead, “they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?”1 I wonder what each of us would do if we were asked that question by the Savior. Would we look at those around us and say in our hearts, “He’s probably talking about Brother Johnson. I’ve always wondered about him,” or “I’m glad Brother Brown is here. He really needs to hear this message”? Or would we, like those disciples of old, look inward and ask that penetrating question: “Is it I?” Brother’s and Sisters, I don’t want to be a goat anymore A lot of these examples sound too familiar to me. There is a lot of goat in me. I still have horns and a curly tail. But its not judgment day yet. The Lord says “He that repents and does the commandments of the Lord shall be forgiven.” There is still time. President Uchtdorf summarizes his message: “In these simple words, “Lord, is it I, lies the beginning of wisdom and the pathway to personal conversion and lasting change.” What’s a sheep say? What’s a goat say? Can you tell the difference? I pray, I plead, that we can become the sheep that I know we can be. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.