Sunday, November 3, 2013

Dad's talk on Resurrection, Sunday Session Stake Conference Oct 2013.

Resurrection. Stake Conference Fall 2013 Job, of the Old Testament, posed an important question in ancient times; “If a man die shall he live again?” A serious question, a question of deep reflection, one that affects each of us. This is a question that could effect how we decide to live our lives. - How we treat each other. - What we do with our time. - How we spend our money. - How diligent we are to do our duty. This is a question that could inspire us to love more deeply, to trust more sincerely, to be more selfless and giving, to be more like Christ. The literal resurrection of the body and spirit is part of the universal atonement and is a key element of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This resurrection comes in an incomprehensible way to every person born to the family of Adam. It is the belief, that the spirit and the body, miraculous and amazing as it may seem, shall literally be reunited again in its perfect form both limb and joint restored to its proper frame, even as we now are at this time: and that we each shall be brought to stand before God, knowing even as we know now, and have a bright recollection of all our guilt. So Job asks; “If a man die shall he live again?” I would like to consider testimony on this subject ranging over all recorded time. I’ll begin with ancient times then move to the meridian of time and then to the latter days. First testimony from ancient times. In ancient times Job himself answered his own question with a very strong personal witness. Says Job; “I know that my redeemer liveth and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth, and though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God. Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold and not another.” Job 19:25-27 Isaiah, other prophet of ancient times, also testified of the promise of the resurrection. He declares: “Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise, Awake and sing ye that dwell in dust, for they dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead.” Isa 26:19 Hosea of ancient times echo’s; “I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death. Oh grave I will be thy destruction.” Hosea 13:14 So the God of the Old Testament, even Jesus Christ, promised freedom from death even before the atonement was completed. And yet the prophets had faith in his word, and they believed in his power to “keep his promises”. And so the ancient days pass away and the meridian of time is born with the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh on the earth” He is born of Mary in humble circumstances, lives among men, teaches his gospel, establishes his church, gives priesthood authority, works out the atonement, suffers the will of the Father in all things in perfect obedience and gives up his life among mortal men. “If a man die shall he live again?” In Matthew of the New Testament we can read of the fulfillment of the promise of God concerning the resurrection of man on the first Easter morning. In the end of the Sabbath as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulcher. And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angle of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door and sat upon it. And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye, for I know that ye seek Jesus which was crucified. He is not here, for he is risen. (Mat 28:1-10) And the witness continues with the testimony of Luke: And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, peace be unto you. But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit. And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts? Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have. (Luke 24:36-43) And subsequently the testimony of Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians, who, himself, had met the risen Christ on the road to Damascus: But now, Says Paul, is Christ risen from the dead, and become the first fruits of them that slept. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. (I Cor 15:20-22) So the meridian of time passes and the Last Days are ushered in and we hear the witness of a young boy: “After I had retired to the place where I had previously designed to go, having looked around me, and finding myself alone, I kneeled down and began to offer up the desires of my heart to God…” Joseph testifies, and for this he gave his life: “I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun. (Joseph Smith History 1:15-17) The Prophet Joseph declares: And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives! (DC 76:22) And Joseph is not the only witness in the last days. Consider the testimony of a modern Apostle: “I believe in Christ he is my King, with all my heart to him I’ll sing. I Believe in Christ, My Lord, My God, my feet he plants on gospel sod. I’ll worship him with all my might. He is the source of truth and light. I Believe in Christ He ransoms me from Satan’s grasp he sets me free and I shall live with joy and love in his eternal courts above.” So testifies Elder Bruce R. McConkie: “I am one of his witnesses, and in the coming day I shall feel the nail marks in his hands and in his feet and shall wet his feet with my tears. But I shall not know any better then than I know now that he is God’s Almighty Son, that he is our Savior and Redeemer, and that salvation comes in and through his atoning blood and in no other way.” “If a man die shall he live again?” So testify uniformly and consistently the prophets of God over all recorded time, of ancient days, the meridian of times, and in these last days. We will be resurrected. We will be resurrected. Each one of us. Your body will be lifted up, through the power of the atonement, to stand in perfect form before God. Oh death where is thy sting? Brethren and Sisters may we contemplate this miraculous truth. May this doctrine of the resurrection sink deep into our hearts. May it help us to overcome the temptations of Satan and cast him from our midst. May it build in us a great resolve to keep His commandments. May it motivate us to repent of our sins and set our lives in order. That we may look forward in anticipation with an eye of faith to our resurrection and the life and opportunities that will come here after. I so pray in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

1 comment:

  1. I love this talk of yours and have heard several different versions throughout my life. Unfortunately I am now blind, having lost the ability to see as a direct result of the wall of text I felt determined to read! CTRL +

    How did you lose all your paragraph formatting when you copied to the blog? <3

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.