Sunday, June 11, 2017

Missionary Farewell June 11, 2017

there were a few last minute tweeks, but this is the gist of it.
---

I just wanted to take a few minutes to testify of the might and power of our Heavenly Father; His grace, His tender mercies, His love, and His miracles. As my favorite song says, I do stand all amazed at the Love He has offered me. I want to describe how the Gospel can work in a life, how the church programs can affect someone, and how people are put in our lives to support and sustain us.
He took a plain little girl, and led her on an incredible path, a path that led me from point A to B, to C, upward and onward, line upon line, here a little, there a little, to the Church, to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, to the temple, and now here, ready to serve a mission.  It was like I was given a map, and together with the scriptures, the Holy Ghost, and faith, I was able to learn and progress. I stand in awe, truly, of the things that God can do.
1 Nephi 17:40 And He loveth those who will have him to be their God.  In the Book of  Mormon Made Easier, it explains that in this context, “loveth” means in effect, “is able to bless”.
In Isaiah 49:16
16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.
This can be explained to mean that the wounds on His hands bear witness of His  work for us, and the walls represent a person’s house- suggesting, He knows where we live and will always know what we need.
Early on, I didn’t even know who to pray to.  I didn’t know we had lived a premortal life.  There we so many things I did not know. I had been seeking for answers and truth, and the Lord ever so carefully led me directly to missionaries.
Neal A Maxwell said, “The combination of the life and the light of Christ is designed to help us discern between the real thing and all the clever counterfeits and sparkling substitutes.” This IS the real thing.  This I have come to know.
After entering on to the strait and narrow path of baptism, the road ahead seemed long and overwhelming.
I was given a bookmark that read: “Things to do before the millennium.”  I didn’t even know what the millennium was, and the list was I suppose meant to be funny. 
·       Visit teach,
·        food storage,
·       attend temple,
·       do genealogy,
·       write family history,
·       grow beautiful garden,
·        memorize the scriptures,
·       daily journal writing,
·        stay on the path despite peer temptation,
·        not to mention-try to become perfect.  J

In Mosiah in the Book of Mormon, King Benjamin delivers an amazing speech, in which he teaches us to:
·       Always retain in remembrance the greatness of God
·       Keep the commandments- (this gives us greater control over our lives)
·       Grow in the knowledge of the glory of Him that created you
·       See that these things are done in wisdom and in order
·       Stand steadfastly in the faith
·       Keep our covenants- Keeping our covenants opens doors. 
·       Have a might change of heart

The ‘things to do’ on these lists are beyond anyone’s ability. But the Lord helps us reach them.

Let me tell you some stories of the helps the Lord gave me along the way to keep my on this path, to teach me, and to keep me humble, and to increase my faith.
One of my first callings was to teach the Sunbeams.  Oh how I fretted and worried that it was going to be too hard.  They handed me the manual.  It was easy to follow, the children were adorable. I did it, and I loved it!
A bit farther down my path, a loving Bishop asked me to prepare to go to the temple. I was petrified.  Wasn’t that for all those really good Mormons?  It again sounded too hard, and I again, felt unworthy.
Back then I had no one who prepared me, no temple prep class.  I went, and was more scared and confused than ever when I came out.  Lucky for me, I had a wise and loving husband who suggested I go often, pray about it, fast about it, read as much as I can about it, and I did.  I acted on faith, put in the work, and learned to love it!  I even eventually got to be an ordinance worker in 3 temples.  And it is my very favorite place to be!
When we lived in Poughkeepsie, NY, there were times when big companies in the area downsized, leaving our ward on what we called, ‘skeleton crew’.  I was a home-study seminary teacher, mother of 4, and had a calling in the YW presidency.  The bishop called me to come up with the idea and head up the youth road show.  What was he thinking?  Me?  I had no idea what to do. I was also suffering from some chronic sinus headaches.  I cried. I prayed.  I fasted. And the ideas poured in, and it was so fun, and my headaches stopped, and again, I felt the hand of the Lord in my life.
There was a home teacher.  He never once entered my home, not because he didn’t want to home teach, but because I was single.  He had great integrity. But he diligently came every single month.  He taught me how to garden, bought me and planted a peach tree, bought me 50 lbs of potatos and carrots, and dug a ditch to keep them underground through the winter.  I was so grateful for that home teacher.

There was a VT who bought me food when she heard me say our frig was pretty bare.
Another sweet VT sister who taught me to budget, and one who watched my son for me when I worked.
EQ- basketball, Mike
Ward councils- I am sure I was the subject of some ward councils.  Someone donated a used aqua couch for me to have, a patio table to use as our indoor table for years, and more than once, things were made available when needed.
I had a bishop who taught me forgiveness, simple and ever so Christ-like.
Some crazy YM dressed in beards and long coats delivered goodies and gifts to me
and my on on a meager Christmas Eve when my son was sick the pneumonia and we had a few tiny Matchbox cars under the tree.

A cute Young Woman once asked me as I was teaching a class, “do you old people still get tempted?”
Oh yes we do. Not to stay up all night, or eat as much ice cream as we want, or to cheat on a test.  Satan still desires to cheat us out of our blessings, and he lies to us and is pretty sneaky. 
On January 29th of this year, I wrote in my journal: Fasting today as we are ready to turn in our mission papers.  I was tempted a lot last night not to go. Today, I feel strengthened. I will go forth with faith, and I will trust and serve the Lord.”
I had felt unworthy again. I don’t memorize scriptures well.  Who do I think I am that I can be a missionary?  Somewhere that day I remembered or heard:
“A ship is safe in a harbor, but it is made to go out to sea.” (I don’t know who said that) J  
I can testify of the power of fasting. .  Fasting is like turning up the battery power on faith. 
Remember, faith is a power. It is a principal of action.  Richard G Scott said it builds character, and that God used it to create galaxies.  You are here today because you had faith, even if it was just a spark.
President Uchtdorf said:
“No matter where you live, how humble your circumstances, how meager your employment, how limited your abilities, how ordinary your appearance, or how little your calling may appear to you, you are not invisible to your Heavenly Father.  He loves you.  He knows your humble heart, and your acts of love and kindness. Together, they form a testimony of your fidelity and faith.”

Richard G Scott also said: “The scriptures are full of examples and stories of kings, prophets, and people asking for advice, pouring their heart out in prayer, and getting answers.  Some have been told where to live, who to marry, and even how to battle in a war. The spirit humbled them, comforted them, warned them, confirmed their faith, and taught them how to solve their problems.”
I have had those warnings.  I was protected from a fire, from a guy who was stalking me, from a man who had jumped me when I was young, and more.
I was told who to marry, and am ever grateful for my husband being one of the blessings added to my life.
I was told where to live, and later in life, Don and I prayed together about where and when to move here.  Our answers were clear.  We were directed again.
As we walk along our own individual paths, we can count our opportunities and blessings daily.  It doesn’t matter our speed, only our direction.  Toward Christ- always.

I have seen miracles.  I have heard the whisperings of the Spirit. I have been physically saved from harm, and protected from evil. I have been given friends and family to bless my life.  I have been given callings to teach me, trials to change me and strengthen me, and guidance to lead me.  I have had revelation where to live, who to marry, and how to help my children when they were younger.  I have been tempted, I have failed, I have been humbled, and I have repented. I have had inspiration and ideas that I know were not my own, and I have been blessed by following them. I have had some wonderful home and visiting teachers, bishops, and leaders.  President Kimball said, “God does notice us, and He watches over us, but it is usually through another mortal that He meets our needs.”  I have had that happen many times over. 
2 Nephi 31:19
19 And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.
20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.
21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen.


I will try to be strong and be of good courage.  I will go forth with faith and trust. 
President Monson said, “Reach out to rescue those who need our help, and lift them to the higher road and the better way…It is the Lord’s work, and when we are on the Lord’s errand, we are entitled to the Lord’s help.”

I’m pretty sure I’ll need it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.